10.12.2003

yeah, i know it's obsession time

I've been doing well for the past 5 months or so, but obsession time has come back for me, and this time I'm not the only victim.

Some of you don't realize this. Some of you don't realize how horrible it's been to be a Chicago sports fan the past couple years. Especially a Chicago BULLS fan.

You see, right now, Chicago's in one of the hugest major sport droughts in the universe. The two teams who haven't won for the longest are the Sox and the Cubs. Sad, huh? The last Chicago team that won a championship was the Bulls... and everyone knows what happened to them. I don't want to talk about it. I might cry.

So don't even get me started on the whole "fair-weather fan" thing. Because that's complete bullshit. At least for me it is. When I like a team, it's because I like the players and their attitudes and the way they play. However, usually when this happens they are a WINNING team-- and usually I start watching the games when the media broadcasts them. (Yeah, I'm an unfortunate soul with network television.) So I don't care if you call me a fair-weather fan because I'm not. If you're one of those "die-hard" fans that continues loving a team even when it completely disperses, changes managers coaches and players and is NOTHING like it used to be.... well then, you're not loving the same team anymore. That's great and all, and I'm not saying that you can't love two teams under the same name-- but you also can't diss on people who stop loving the team when everyone ON the original team is gone.

Oh yeah, I loved the Bulls. I loved them even in those two years that Jordan left us. What I didn't love was the "leftover" Bulls when it all came to an end-- poor Kukoc all alone with a totally different team. I watched for a while. Then I watched Pippen and Kerr play on their new teams. Then I figured it was over. Ah well.

Anyway, the point is, my new obsession is baseball. No, not regular season baseball. Postseason baseball. Um, no offense to the game and all, but baseball games that have nothing riding on them aren't that great. That's why I love the playoffs-- everything counts, so all that waiting and all that blank time is still interesting. Every play, every pitch, every SECOND matters. It's great fun. Oh, and Kyle Farnsworth.

I mean Javy Lopez.

I mean Mark Prior.

Damn.