8.29.2004

two rants on the day

One is in my journal for English, so you won't be seeing that one. (I'm actually looking forward to doing this assignment, something I haven't felt since art class in fifth grade. An actual journal with deep thoughts and crap like that? It's gotta be good. The rant's on religion, of course, because what would one of my journals be without a religion rant??)

Anyway, so AIM. Is it just me, or do people mercilessly slaughter the art of AIM? Let's narrow this down. Everyone knows that I, Bettina, Queen of the Universe, never/barely/rarely ever IM anyone first. That is because, among other reasons, I usually have something to do while I'm on the computer, so I'm not merely schputzing around and waiting for people to talk to me, I am actually concentrating on something (gasps!), (usually cubs.com or reading espn articles...). The point is, if you IM me, you better goddamn have a reason to, or at least have the effort to make conversation.

Now, I'm not always gonna just blow you off and tell you to leave me alone if you have nothing important to say (which I sometimes do tell people, if I'm really busy. Deal with it.) But if you DO have something to say, please go ahead and say it. You don't need to idly speak about nothing for 5 minutes before getting to the point (this applies to the phone too). Because when you ask how I'm doing, or "what's up?", I will definitely answer, with something entirely truthful nonetheless (more gasps!). And when I ask YOU, I expect the same, because I actually care. However, for those of you who DON'T (which I'm sure is at least 50% of the time), then DON'T FUCKING ASK. If you do this often enough, I guarantee I will stop caring and purposely - make no effort/kill the conversation/what YOU do - the next time you talk to me.

Otherwise!, I'm usually more than happy to just chat with you, especially if you're interesting to talk to. If you're not, you better goddamn have a game plan. What I hate the most is: when someone IMs you first, makes little/no attempt to keep up the conversation, and then says something along the lines of "Soooooooo...." or "anyway...." OR THE WORST, just "..." (as if I'm not good enough for any word composable on a qwerty keyboard) as a cue for ME to come up with something for US to talk about-- even though, (if you recall), that I wasn't the one all interested in talking to you in the first place. REMEMBER? YOU IMed ME.

So, if you're just an eager beaver and want desperately to talk to my Heavenliness, MORE POWER TO YA... don't be scared, if you're cool enough, I won't hate you! The point is, just fucking use some social skills, be respectful, and make AOL/thespawnofsatan PROUD.