7.05.2003

outside...

I wouldn't be justified to complain about our new house. Sure, I'm bored here, but there's no need to blame it on the view. The view is actually really really nice. We can see the river, harbor, and the ocean from our balcony. My mom sits out there and smokes all the time, but when she doesn't, I like to go out there too. No, not to smoke =P It's kind of something I need to do every once in a while, just go outside and sit around. I must say it's more effective at home in our massive backyard, watching the stars and the moon on a cool night. But since quiet nature isn't very common in this city, the balcony is as close as I can get.

It's actually really calming to watch the city at night. The air is pretty warm and humid, but without the sun glaring overhead, it's comfortable. Since we live so high up, there's almost always a light breeze (if not a strong wind) passing by. It brings odors from down below-- usually of food, since Taiwanese night life calls for all types of hunger maintenance. I can always smell the river, too. In the day it smells too musty and dirty, but for some reason at night it's more clean and crisp.

As dirty as the river might be, it's really beautiful at night as it reflects the lights of all the buildings that tower over it. The bridges spanning its width glimmer over the opal river -- the lights dance in patterns of blue and green, red and white. It's not until night that you can realize why it's called Ai He -- literally translated into "Love River". Only by the water is there a place where the land is not developed into at least three stories. The city built strips of parks and walkways and gardens along the entire river, seemingly determined to have it live up to its name. So I sit out there when I get the time, breathe deep, and try to forget that I'm halfway across the world from almost all my friends. ::sigh:: -- A lil more than one week left, guys =P