10.17.2004

Absolutely addicted to this song... so beautiful.

~*~*~
I've heard there was a secret chord
that David played, and it pleased the lord--
but you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth,
the minor fall, the major lift,
the baffled king composing hallelujah...

Your faith was strong but you needed proof,
you saw her bathing on the roof;
her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you.
She tied you to a kitchen chair,
she broke your throne, she cut your hair,
and from your lips she drew the hallelujah...

Maybe I've been here before,
I know this room, I've walked this floor;
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch,
but love is not a victory march,
it's a cold and it's a b ro k en hallelujah...

There was a time you'd let me know
what's real and going on below,
but now you never show it to me, do you?
Remember when I moved in you,
the holy dark was moving too
then every breath we drew was hallelujah...

Maybe there's a god above,
and all I ever learned from love
was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you.
It's not a cry you can hear at night,
it's not somebody who's seen the light,
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah.

Hallelujah.... hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah.
~ rufus wainwright